The Company has been established by Aboriginal people for Aboriginal people. Empowerment in illness prevention, health promotion, planning and service delivery requires participation in decision making by Aboriginal people from the communities they serve.
The Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services Ltd (KAMS) is managed and controlled by Kimberley Aboriginal people and is locally and nationally recognised as a leader in the provision and support of holistic and culturally appropriate comprehensive primary health care services for Aboriginal people.
KAMS exists as a responsible Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service to improve Aboriginal health in the Kimberley region of Western Australia by providing continually improving essential cooperative services along with a unified voice and representation for existing and developing comprehensive primary health care services and community health services.
In achieving its Mission KAMS will:
- Provide Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services (ACCHS) essential centralised services, which are not otherwise available to them.
- Contribute to policy development and representation at a community (community clinic), district (ACCHS), regional (KAMS), State (AHCWA) and national (NACCHO).
- Regularly monitor and report its achievements in improving Aboriginal health.
- Provide a single and accepted voice which represents all of its Kimberley Aboriginal constituents.
- Be accountable in all of its dealings with its co-operative of Board members and other stakeholders.