In 2016 KAMS and member services were successful in receiving funding for the Tackling Indigenous Smoking (TIS) Program 2016-2018. This has now been extended to 2022.
The TIS program is embedded into member services with TIS teams at BRAMS, DAHS, YYMS and OVAHS. Supporting the TIS teams across the region is the KAMS TIS Regional Coordinator who works with member services and other key stakeholders to ensure the TIS program is consistent across the region, outcome focussed and contributing to an evidence base of what works in Aboriginal smoking cessation.
The TIS Program provides:
- Community education programs on smoking and its harmful effects.
- Facilitation of quit support groups.
- Delivery of Brief intervention training to Aboriginal Medical Service Staff and community professional who a regularly in contact with Aboriginal people.
- Training and support for workplaces and community spaces to become smoke free.
- Advocate for smoke-free places at a Regional and National level.
We also develop local smoke free programs and campaigns that are meaningful to Aboriginal people in the Kimberley.
Our goal is to support Aboriginal people to be the healthiest they can be.
Kimberley TIS Contacts
Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services
– Regional Coordinator
(08) 9195 2118
Jarlyn Spinks – TIS Remote Project Officer
(08) 9195 2111
Broome Regional Aboriginal Medical Services
(08) 9192 1338
Derby Aboriginal Health Service
(08) 9193 1090
Yura Yungi Medical Services
(08) 9198 6266
Ord Valley Aboriginal Health Service
Neville De Silva
(08) 9166 2200